Table of Contents
Chocolate Pie is a rich and creamy treat that is perfect for a special occasion or to satisfy a sweet tooth. Ridiculously easy to make with just 4 ingredients, this rich chocolate pie has a buttery pie crust that is filled with a fluffy chocolate pudding filling.
Chocolate Pie Ingredients
You will need:
- 1 baked pie crust (9 inch) try our homemade pie crust recipe
- Double recipe of stabilized whipped cream (try this stabilized whipped cream recipe)
- 5 ounces chocolate pudding mix (cook and serve used here, but instant is fine also)
- 3 cups cold milk
Substitutions and Additions
PUDDING: Use your favorite type of creamy chocolate pudding mix for this homemade chocolate pie recipe. If the pudding is cooked, be sure that it is cooled completely before mixing it into the whipped cream so that it doesn’t melt.
TOPPING: You can top the pie with chocolate curls, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, or sprinkles. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate would be equally yummy. To make shaved chocolate, use a vegetable peeler to grate it from a chocolate bar.
CRUST: An Oreo cookie crust, regular chocolate cookie crust, or graham cracker crust is also delicious with this easy chocolate pie. If you want to use the traditional pie crust listed in the ingredients, you can either use a store-bought crust or a homemade pie crust recipe.
MILK: Any milk will work fine, but we find whole milk will make this pie extra creamy.
How to Make Recipe
PRO TIP: Whether you are using store-bought or your own crust, make sure it is baked first.
STEP ONE: Prepare pudding according to package instructions. For cook and serve pudding, bring pudding mix and milk to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. For instant pudding, whisk together the pudding mix and milk until the pudding is thickened.
STEP TWO: Fold 1 cup of whipped cream into the pudding mixture until thoroughly combined.
STEP THREE: Spoon pudding mixture into baked pie crust and spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
PRO TIP: If you are using a store-bought pie crust and it is in a foil pie plate, we’d recommend placing that inside a glass pie dish for added stability.
STEP FOUR: Slice and serve with additional whipped cream.
PRO TIP: Freezing this chocolate pudding pie helps it set more quickly and slice cleanly.
How to Serve Chocolate Pie
The chocolate flavor in this pie is over-the-top decadent! It’s so easy to make that you really don’t need a reason to add it to your dessert menu. Serve this delicious dessert with a dollop of whipped cream on top or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. To add even more chocolate goodness, enjoy your pie with a mug of whipped hot chocolate.
IN THE FRIDGE: Keep leftovers of this no-bake pie in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, covered in plastic wrap.
IN THE FREEZER: Store in the freezer for up to a month well-wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
Chocolate pie is a simple pie recipe with delicious chocolate filling. Insanely creamy, chocolate lovers will never say no to a piece of this delicious pie at dessert time. The rich chocolate flavor of this pie makes it the perfect dessert for any occasion.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I freeze this pie?
This easy chocolate pie can be frozen, well-wrapped, for up to a month.
What can I add to the top of the pie?
Old fashioned chocolate pie recipe tastes excellent with sprinkles, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, whipped cream, or even toffee bits.
Can I use a different flavor of pudding?
Instead of the chocolate pudding filling, you could use any flavor of pudding you’d like. Customize it however you like including butterscotch, vanilla, or strawberry flavor.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1 baked pie crust 9 inch try our homemade pie crust recipe
- Double recipe of stabilized whipped cream try this stabilized whipped cream recipe
- 5 ounces chocolate pudding mix cook and serve used here, but instant is fine also
- 3 cups cold milk
- Prepare pudding according to package instructions. For cook and serve pudding, bring pudding mix and milk to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. For instant pudding, whisk together the pudding mix and milk until the pudding is thickened.
- Fold 1 cup of whipped cream into the pudding mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon pudding mixture into baked pie crust and spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
- Slice and serve with additional whipped cream.