Custard Pie is a delicious, old-fashioned, southern dessert with a buttery crust, a smooth and silky custard filling, and a dash of nutmeg on top.
- 3 cups whole milk, room temeprature
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 unbaked pie crust
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Lightly spray a 9 ½ inch pie pan with nonstick spray.
Place unbaked pie crust in the pie pan, pressing dough against the sides of the pie pan.
Beat together sugar, eggs, nutmeg, and vanilla. Add milk and whisk until smooth.
Pour mixture into pie shell.
Sprinkle the nutmeg lightly on top of the custard.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until set.
- Using room temperature eggs and milk help with even cooking.
- You’ll be able to tell when it’s done by doing a simple jiggle test. Try gently shaking the pie pan and if the center of the pie jiggles slightly, it’s done!
- This pie tastes and cuts best when chilled.